Monday, January 28, 2008

3 Days ~9+ Hours of Cycling

Great weekend! I started the weekend early by taking 1/2 day off Friday. E-mailed friends trying to get someone else to leave work early, no takers. I had a great mtn bike ride @ Bent Creek;up North Slope, up Sidehill down gravel rd left on Chestnut Cove behind Lake Powahtan and back to truck..3hours.
Saturday was spent riding the SS Surly on dirt roads @ Bent Creek. Another 3 + hour day.

Sunday dawned and it was quite blustery. There was a bit of indecision here. I really wanted to do a road bike ride but due to the wind I was considering another mountain bike ride. I did not want to go to Bent Creek, having spent 6+ hours on the Bent Creek trails the previous 2 days.I called a friend that had e-mailed me about the possibility of a mtn bike ride in dupont but was told the dupont ride was canceled due to trail conditions.

Back to my original plan of a road ride. I did one one of my usual routes. I started from the house to Gap Creek, Cane Creek then onto Brush Creek.I took hwy 74 over Hickory Nut Gap and down to Hwy 9. The Hickory Nut Gap is one of my favourite climbs. The gradient is perfect, not to steep not to easy and very consistent.I was also riding a set of Dura Ace tubless wheels with tubeless Hutchinson tires. These were great! Very supple ride and the tires hooked up well in corners on the descent.If any of you have ridden with me I am quite conservative on the descents.I turned left on Hwy 9 and headed toward Black Mountain. This stretch of road is usually very low traffic and the scenery is great. Unfortunately they have done away with one of the more scenic landmarks. This being the Iron Bridge crossing the river from hwy 9 to Lower Sand Branch. I always enjoyed taking a break here and having a snack and a bit to drink. The bridge is being replaced, but the replacement lacks the personality of the Iron Bridge(the iron bridge was older the me!!mmmm wonder when i will be replaced).So, on up hwy 9 to Chestnut Hill road. Left on Chestnut Hill which changes to Old Fort Rd and then left on Miller Rd and right on Hwy 74 then home. Great ride,it was a little difficult getting out and on the bike but once out I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

This weekend is the Snake Creek Gap TT < than 2 hours!!!!!

No comments: