Sunday, February 3, 2008

Driving Mr Daisy

The title is a little misleading, I was not actually doing the driving I was the one being driven. I met up with my two wonderful traveling partners on Friday and we made our way down to the Snake Creek Gap TT. It was nice to just sit and relax after a long work week. The trip down was uneventful small talk etc. very enjoyable.
We slept in Saturday and woke up ready to race. It works out great being 5 minutes away from the race venue. Once we had breakfast it was off the race.There was some discussion on what to wear since the start was cool and it was supposed to get warmer throughout the day. I wore light weight long johns under my bibs,my craft windproof shirt underneath my jersey and full finger gloves. This was the perfect combination.
The 17 mile bus left immediately after the 34 mile bus. The previous race there was ~ 1 hour delay between the two. This was great, because we would get back 1 hour earlier and not have to wait around to start (I get a little antsy waiting to start a race). There was some concern on the drive up as to whether the trailer would be drug off over the dips. The driver had forgotten to raise the leveling device at the tongue on the trailer and it drug over each dip. Fortunately we made it to the start line with the trailer still in tow.
Once at the start line it was a quick nature break and then off to the races! The start was an immediate uphill, actually the whole race seemed uphill which is great for me as i do not do very well on the technical downhills.Unfortunately i had to much air in the tires(40psi) I felt like i was the ball in one of those pin ball machines, bouncing from one rock to another. I made it through with no mishaps although i was disappointed with my overall time. it was only 1 minute better than last time and i was sure with a clean race i could break 2 hours. Unfortunately this was not to be.
We all made it to the finish safe and sound and each of us Andy,Cara and myself decreased our overall time.Once done it was pack up the car and head back to Asheville/Black Mountain. Once back we each got into our seperate cars and headed home. I got lost getting out of Biltmore forest(this sometimes happens to us seniors) remember I am now driving myself but made it out and back home.
Sunday dawned bright and warm, and what a great day! Diana and I went out to Breakfast came home and headed out for a tandem ride. We traveled down I-40 and exited onto parker padgett road. we parked on greenlee rd hopped on the tandem and headed out.We stopped several times for me to make adjustments. I had to set the Tandem up for what i call geriatric geometry...ie shorter more upright stem and rotating the handlebars slightly upward. Once this was done we continued our ride..2.5 hours. Great ride.
After the ride it was call the kids to see who was coming to dinner. Amber my wonderful daughter(we are truly blessed with 2 great kids) took us up on the invite. Amber came over and we had our favorite dinner, crab cakes, garlic rice and edamame(?).
All in all a great weekend spent with wonderful friends and family!!!

No comments: