Monday, January 5, 2009

#1 Snake Creek Gap Clear and Sunny

The first race of the Snake Creek Gap TT series is over. I had watched the weather forecast all week and Saturday the day of the race was supposed to be clear and sunny. This day was anything but clear and sunny. The day dawned overcast and cloudy with some drizzle mixed with the fog.

Prior to the weekend I had spent the week doing home projects and riding my bike. I did various rides. It is great riding with friends, chatting having a good time. Cycling buds are the best! Andy and I did a great ride in Pisgah Forest on Wednesday. We rode 2+hours with a mix of double track, single track and a couple of technical climbs thrown in for good measure, I was pretty trashed after the ride Andy seemed fine, Andy is a couple of years younger than me. Anyway we both had a great time and an awesome ride.

Friday Diana and I bummed around drove new cars or this may have been Thursday. I sometimes get my days confused.New cars...way to expensive for me. Perhaps next fall I may spring for a new car. Wait...single speed cyclocross worlds are next fall new car may have to wait.
Friday afternoon I hooked up with Andy and Cara and we began our trip to Dalton Ga for the Snake Creek Gap TT. I was not much company on the way down as I took a nap, us old guys like our naps.

The trip down was uneventful.This would come to an abrupt end once we tried to check into the hotel. I walked up to the desk told them my name only to find I did not have a reservation at the La Quinta. Fortunately we got a room and did not have to sleep outside. The hotel manager did some checking and found that I had made reservations at the Comfort Inn. This is what happens when you have an AARP member making the travel arrangements. I must say the manager was great and very helpful I will gladly stay at the La Quinta again. Oh, and they had an awesome breakfast free!!

We were greeted the next morning with fog and drizzle. We all thought it would eventually burn off but it stuck around all day. We all had good races with both Applegates taking 2nd in their respective classes and me coming in 4th. Stephen Janes also had a great race and as always it was great seeing Stephen and his family.After the race we cleaned up and shagged back to Asheville. I did manage to get in another nap!! Another great trip with my favorite traveling partners!

Sunday the weather was awesome so Diana and I took the tandem out for a short ride. After the ride we had lunch then went home sat in the front yard and let the dogs run around.

Monday back to work after 12 days off. Work is not so bad.

I hope everyone has a great week!!!

No comments: