Tuesday, November 18, 2008

No Holds Barred

I will preface this post with the comment below:


Cara said...
you forgot to mention you weren't GIRLED either. NEXT TIME, my friend, NEXT TIME!!!!!

I was not going to elaborate on the SS other than to say I had a good race. However there seems to have developed quite a rivalry between myself and sometimes training partner(if you look at the comments on my previous post you will see to whom I am referring). This rivalry apparently began after I LET the aforementioned person beat me on the Chimney Rock Hill Climb. I now understand how Armstrong felt after giving Pantani the victory on Hautacam . Yep you try to be the nice guy and it goes to their heads.

Anyway on to the SS race commentary. I dressed in my usual attire, Sugar Smack Jersey to which I attached my AARP card so everyone would know they were racing against a grumpy old guy. The week prior to the race there was quite a bit of smack talk directed toward yours truly. I did nothing to encourage this J and as always was courteous and nice choosing to let my legs do the talking…on to the race report; we lined up at the start I heard a high pitched voice whisper “ten bucks if you take out the old guy” I knew it was my adversary and now knew of the dastardly plot(I may be old but I can still hear). The starter yelled go and we were off and racing. I had my trusty Surly, set up with clip-less pedals, flip flop hub and geriatric geometry. First lap I was setting near the back of the field but making steady progress. 2nd lap someone came around me screaming trying to disrupt my concentration and flowing rhythm. Needless to say the shenanigans did not work as I simply sighed and pedaled away. Kind of reminded me of shooing a fly away. The rest of the race was pretty relaxing and was finished with minimal effort.

Once finished I made my way to the car changed had a bite to eat went back to the finish to wait for my sometimes training partner Cara to finish. She finished a short time later we congratulated each other on the race; afterwards I headed to Asheville, Andy and Cara to Southern Pines.

The above is my interpretation of how the SS race went, there may be those of differing opinions!!

No comments: