Monday, September 8, 2008

Rails to Trails

Diana and I spent this past week riding the New River Trail. This is one of the "Rail to Trails" routes in Virginia. The trail runs from Galax to Pulaski and is ~ 51 miles long with and additional spur that goes to Fries which adds another 5 miles. The trail meanders through farm land and approximately 90% of it is along the New River which is supposedly the oldest river in the world.

The ride was great! We covered the entire trail twice in three days. At times it was kind of boring but there was no opportunity to coast which made for a great work out and tired legs at the end of the day. We chose to take the cross bikes which proved to be a good choice. The mtn bikes would have been to slow and the road bikes with 23c tires would have sank into the gravel.

We had a great week and a great time!

The weekend came and we each decided to ride with our friends. Diana did a breakfast ride to the Pisgah Inn with some friends and Cara came over to do a short ride with me.Our loop included a few hills and lasted ~ 2.5 hours. Up the last climb I went out ahead so we could both climb at our own pace, once over the hill Cara told me she was about to bonk! I didn't think the youngster was gonna make it! We made it to the store where we both had a soda and then on to the house.

Sunday I was up and off to the lake lure olmpiad TT up to the base of chimney rock, I finished 2nd but Cara passed me on the way up. I took a pretty good ribbing at the top from my good friend Ned and Cara. After the hill climb it was home where Diana and I took off and did 45 mile tandem ride.

a great week spent with bikes,family and friends!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: