Saturday, February 23, 2008

A great day and a great ride

Chris Young and I had a great ride today. We did the d-dub-buffalo hoals route #1.I misspelled shoals when I created the route on "map my ride" and have been to lazy to go back and correct it.I have created and listed several rides on "map my ride". The majority of these rides originate from my house since I usually start 90% of my rides from here. This will probably increase to 98% as the price of gas increases.
Todays ride went well. We start at ~9am and the weather was perfect in Fairview, the fog had lifted the sun was out and the birds were singing. We made our way down Brush Creek and then to Highway 74 and over Hickory Nut Gap. This is one of my favorite climbs; just steep enough to allow a good rhythm and get a good "burn" in the legs. Once over the gap we dropped down to Lake Lure. Wow it must have been 10 degress colder and the fog was just begining to lift. Not only was it chilly but it was also damp. I assume the cold air had settled into the valley and the warmer air was at the higher elevation (Fairview). We made it through the town of Chimney Rock took a left over the dam and contunued around the back side of Lake Lure. The view was incredible with the fog lifting off the lake, the granite rock cliffs as a backdrop and there was very little traffic.
We continued around the lake and on to highway 9 with no mishaps. We did stop 2x to munch on some peanut butter girl scout cookies. These things were great! Only wish I could have had some milk. Although,we did see several cows along the way and I did mention to Chris that we could possibly milk one of the cows into a water bottle and then have milk and cookies. Chris was not sure what the farmer would think seeing someone in lycra and shaved legs tugging on his cows udders. On the other hand I do not recall seeing any udders on these cows so maybe Chris and I will stick with store bought milk!
We made it home safe and sound and had a great lunch. Turkey sandwiches on wheat bread with lettuce and tomato, a side of cheetos and of course a coke! Oh yeah I did have some peanut butter cookies with store bought milk!!

No comments: