Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pisgah Solo

Earlier this week I was somewhat undecided about what ride to do today. I looked for a race but did not find anything close by other than a short track race in Charlotte. Doing this race would have required a 2 hour drive in which case I probably would have spent the night in Charlotte and drove to Dobson on Sunday for the NCCX state championship.

I decided to stay home and do a mtb ride, this was due in part to this weeks riding @ Bent Creek and my plan on doing the Snake Creek Gap TT January, February, March. I raced the Snake Creek Gap last year but did not "train" for it. I would like to break 2 hours this year and was hoping that a little more focus and some preplanning would make that possible.

I chose to go to Pisgah and do one of my favorite loops. The loop starts at the Pink Beds goes to the gauging station down some road, hang a left and go across a swinging bridge and another left and hit a trail called Squirrel Gap.From Squirrel Gap you hang a left on Horse Cove Trail which brings you out to a Forest Service Road,follow this road down to the main gravel rd and then a right back to the Pink Beds Trail. This ride is ~ 3 hours. I could have gone faster but I was being extra cautious as I was alone(well almost, Hairry was with me but he can't even talk) and did not want to break myself or worse my bike. This route does take you deep into the woods and you should be prepared.I saw nary a soul on Squirrel Gap and only 1 person at the gauging station, he was on a horse, my immediate thought tubular glue.
This was a great ride on a beutiful day.

I made it back to the car and at this time was quite hungry. I had not eaten breakfast due to my stomach being upset. I did take one GU on the trail. I guess I have enough body fat to fuel my body for 3+ hours. I changed clothes hopped in the truck drove out of the Forest and made my way to Poppies for lunch. Poppies is similar to Earth Fare,they have excellent Panninis and soup. I got my standard turkey pannini on wheat and sat on the patio and enjoyed my food and the sunshine, I felt great. Before leaving I picked a piece of cheese cake and a piece of key lime pie for desert after dinner.

I made it home safe and sound cleaned the bike, prepped cross bikes for tomorrows race, did laundry and helped Diana cook dinner.

Tomorrow it is off to Dobson for the NCCX state championship.
Oh yeah GOOD LUCK Stephen in your race tomorrow!

2 comments:

Cara said...

awesome post dwight! love your travelling companion. is his last name potter?

:-)

Mr. Carlisle said...

Dwight,

Sounds like you're having a great fall in WNC. I read your blog from to time and I must say, this post makes me really homesick for the Carolinas. It seems like it never rains in WNC anymore. That's not the case out here in the PNW.

We've had two really muddy cross races in a row. Cross season is slowly but surely winding down out here.

How are things going for you and Diana?