Sunday, February 10, 2008

d-dubs farm

Not much to write about today. Diana and I had planned on going down to Boiling Springs Saturday and doing one of the spring training rides on the Tandem, unfortunately Diana had some back issues and was unable to ride. Since my best riding partner was out of commission I decided to do the Saturday 10am bakery ride.

This was an enjoyable ride, although there was more climbing than I expected. We climbed over Paint Fork took various roads and ended up climbing up Dillingham road to Craggy Picnic area. I got dropped on the downhills as usual but held my own on the climbs. Pet peeve #1:I do not understand why people ride to the left of the double yellow line on the downhills on a blind curve. If you can see through the curve ok. I do not want to be splattered against a car, on the other hand if you do not mind being splattered against a car then expect no reomorse from me.If you are going to be stupid you need to be tough.

Sunday was windy so I decided to do a Forest Service road ride. I browsed the ABRC website and found a ride but it had very little info.This brings me to Pet Peeve #2:People posting rides and assuming everyone knows the start location ie this is a posting for a ride on the ABRC bulletin board about a ride today Sunday February 10, 2008 " -ForestService-Nooner Making It Happen-N-A-Ville-2-3h-Reality-Pace- &-)--+=<" . Ok no more whining. I did go over to Bent Creek and do 3 hours on the cross bike...a good day!!

Sunday after my ride I came home and started working on the "Farm". My first chore was to build some cold frames: this is the start>">


I used material we had demo'd for our recent addition and the frames turned out very good. Everything seems to be square and I had no uh ohs! These are heavy duty cold frames, cedar lumber, double paned glass and coated screws. Only the best for my plants ( uh weeds!).



I actually had enough material to build 2. I am not sure what i will do with all the veggies if i fill both, but oh well I can always give the extra to friends.



And what should i plant? Onion sets, spinach, lettuce, cabbage.



Hopefully I will be able to stay ahead of the weeds and bugs. I always start off with good intentions but cycling and the weeds seem to get in the way. The weeds are definatley more aggressive than I am.

I had more to write about than I thought! I hope all who reads this has a great week!
Let me know if you need any weeds uhhhh I mean lettuce, spinach etc. I may have a bumper crop.

No comments: