Monday, May 5, 2008

Burnsville Metric/Winder GA Recap

It has been a couple of weeks and 2 bike races since I have updated my blog. Spring is here and it is daylight till 8:30 which leaves little time to update since I am not usually in the house until dark.

Saturday April 26 Diana and I did the Burnsville Metric on the tandem and had a great time. We hung with the lead group for 40 miles and put in one short attack. I think they were rather shocked to see 2 50 year olds hanging with them. We did get shelled off the back once we reached the rollers but it was fun riding the flats @ 28 mph. We finished the ride in ~ 3 hours. Afterwards we came home soaked in the tub, cooked dinner and I packed for my trip to Winder Georgia to do a mountain bike race the next day.

Sunday dawned, I was up @ 4:30 am , ate breakfast left the house @ 5:15 and headed to Hendersonville,picked up Michael then to the race in Winder. The ride down was uneventful except for the downpour of rain. I was not looking forward to racing in the mud. Once there the rain let up and I began my pre race ritual. This involves looking through every bag I have trying to get my race gear together. I am very unorganized, more on this later. Once ready I began my warm then I bellied up to the start line.

The competition appeared rather stiff. Van Council a friend and my arch rival was there ready to race, Joseph Bostch (winner of last years 50 +SERC overall) had also bellied up to the line.The gun sounded and we were off. I had the hole shot for the first 1/4 mile with Joseph telling me where to turn as the start was not very well marked. Van came around me on a flat stretch so I decided to set in and follow his wheel. I sat on for ~3/4 of the first lap and then tried to go around Van on a short hill. Van countered, I did not have the legs to make the pass so I settled in behind Van and let him set the pace. It was great racing against someone that is so closely matched with your own fitness level. I followed Van back to the start line where I launched a very hard attack. I opened up a gap of about 30 seconds and continued to drive hard. I hit the uphill at ~ midpoint on the second lap and my legs felt like lead but I thought I could push through. Then Van came around! This was disheartening because I thought I had cracked him. I have to give him credit for closing the gap, excellent job. Needless to say at this point Van had me on the ropes both physically and mentally. At this point I decided to follow and wait for a mistake. The mistake happened ~3/4 of the way on the second lap. It was on a slight uphill and a hard right turn. Van spun out on a root put his foot down and I attacked. My legs were burning with pain but I did not dare let up remembering how he had closed the gap before. I buried myself and raced for the finish beating Van by ~ 45 seconds. What a great race going against someone so equally matched!

Now it was time to relax socialize and watch others suffer. Michael Scholts (my carpool partner) raced an excellent race and won the SS category. Michael got his podium and then it was load up the car and head home.
Once on the road it was time to decide where to stop and eat. We went through one area that had some huge billboards advertising a French restaurant. I think the name was "Cafe' Risque" . The billboards said "topless". Michael and I were a little unsure of dining without our shirts, especially with our biker tans so we decided not to go there. Apparently they also have a bike shop, I noticed the sign also said "A large selection of Adult toys". Oh well maybe I will work on my tan and stop in next time.
Needless to say it was a happy car going home.

No comments: